Free School Meals
- Universal Credit (provided you have an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400, as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods)
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guarantee element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
In addition, the following pupils will be protected against losing their free school meals as follows;
- From 1 April 2018, all existing free school meals claimants will continue to receive free school meals whilst Universal Credit is rolled out. This will apply even if their earnings rise above the new threshold during that time
- In addition, any child gaining eligibility for free school meals after 1 April 2018 will be protected against losing free school meals during the Universal Credit roll-out period
- Once Universal Credit is fully rolled out, any existing claimants that no longer meet the eligibility criteria at that point (because they are earning above the threshold or are no longer a recipient of Universal Credit) will continue to receive free school meals until the end of their current phase of education (i.e. primary or secondary)
The Universal Credit roll-out is currently expected to complete in March 2022.
A pupil is only eligible to receive a free school meal when a claim for the meal has been made on their behalf, and their eligibility has been verified by the school where they are enrolled or by the local authority.
If your child is eligible for free school meals they will be entitled to the food as follows;
Breakfast (8.15 - 8.40 am) - Breakfast items to the value of £1.55
Lunch (1.20 - 1.50 pm) - 2 items consisting of a main meal (hot or cold) plus a drink OR desert to the value of £2.45.
There are no food items available at breaktime (11.05 - 11.20 am) so if your child requires a snack at break they should bring one in or use their cashless catering account.
Should you have any enquiries relating to Free School Meals, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application form for Free School Meals can be downloaded from this page as a "Word" version of the form to enable you to complete the form online and email it back to us.